3.05.2010

Fresh Fish

Our office is very diverse. Therefore when lunch rolls around, there are many ethnic palates and appetites. Because of this, our workroom and lunch room are always doused in a variety of competing aromas.

Many days, the smells wafting out of the microwaves are your usual cup-o-soup and last-night's-macaroni-and-cheese scents. But some days, it's all you can do not to loose your cookies after inhaling the toxic fumes of one pungent meal or another. It's because of these acrid incidents that have made me very aware of the lunch choices I make while at work.

I don't want people cursing my name for stinking up the office with my lunch time feast. So, I tend to bring simple, brown bag lunches that don't require any nuke time in the microwave.

Well, last night I made some wonderful salmon fillets with fresh sage and basil butter. They were absolutely delicious! Even my husband who is not a big sea food fan said that they were mouth-watering. So, I'm not just bias!

There were 2 fillets left over so I figured I'd package them up for our lunches the next day. All morning, I was so excited for lunch time to roll around so I could once again sink my fork into the flaky fillet goodness! I pop the fillet in the microwave and next thing you know, the office absolutely REEKS!!! As soon as I grab my salmon from the microwave and bring it to my desk, one of my coworkers says, "Ugh! It smells like nasty fish!"

I quickly ate my salmon, discarded the remains in a far off garbage can, and scourged my empty Tupperware with soap and boiling water! But the worst part, right after I finished eating, I had to interview a couple different students and interact with a few faculty members. If the office had smelled so badly from my salmon, just imagine what my breath smelled like! I was so embarrassed.

The poor high school recruit who's face I was breathing into...he'll probably reevaluate his choice to attend BYU and be a math major, thinking that our department is full of stinky people.

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

I refuse to take fish or eggs to school for lunch because of the potential smell. :P