Recently, I've been watching a lot of Food Network and reading a ton of design blogs. Once again, I'm beginning to feel despondent due to my lack of craftiness.Taking up scrapbooking helped a lot and provided and outlet for creativity. But, the more I continue to read blogs such as sfgirlbybayand watch Giada at Home, the more I want to create bigger and better things. Though, when I take on a new project for the first time, I quickly become overwhelmed and anxious. I wig out. Big time. Then, I'm left feeling even more discouraged and inept than before.
So, instead of trying to tackle everything all at once, I've decided to take a different step toward becoming more domestic. Once a week, I've decided to either cook or bake one new meal, snack, or dessert. I've already taken a stab at a couple things:
I attempted a chicken pot pie recipe that I gleaned from Quick Fix Meals. It turned out all right. Though, I used sage to season the ingredients, and I don't think I particularly like sage all that well. And, I think the filling could have been a bit creamier.
Yesterday, I tried another of Robin Miller's recipes: mac 'n' cheese. It was a total fail. I know what you're thinking, "Who messes up mac 'n' cheese?" Well, I did. For one, I put way too much dijon mustard in it. Also, I burned the parmesan cheese and bread crumb mixture that was supposed to go on top of the noodles to give it the just-came-out-of-the-oven, crunchy, baked effect. So i just tasted burned. Plus, it was super dry. I dunno what happened. I probably won't be making that again. Besides, I don't even like homemade mac 'n' cheese. I'm happy with the boxed crap from Kraft.
But my favorite recipe so far was from Giada. I made peach and Nutella filled crepes. The crepes were a bit too think and the peaches weren't quite ripe yet, but who cares when there's Nutella?! Of course, my husband said that I actually ruined the crepes by filling them with Nutella. I'm telling you, sometimes I don't even know who I married.
This Saturday is Lolli's birthday party. So, I'm actually taking a stab at a few different concoctions. I'll be assembling dessert sushi, baking a cake and rolling fondant, and I'll also be making an Asian noodle salad. This will be my first time making any of these things. I hope they turn out well or else Lolli is gonna have a pretty lame party.
What are some of your favorite quick and easy recipes?
4 comments:
Cali,
I had to force myself to start cooking because I just didn't like it for so long but now I love it. I use this chicks blog that has really good and easy recipes - I use A LOT! There is a button on my blog for her website if you wanna check it out. its Kuki's kookbook! I love the sushi dessert... so cute!
Hey - we didn't have the Asian salad!!! You need to post the dessert sushi though - they were so cute.
I need to domesticize myself and learn how to cook and clean too. It's kinda sad that I'm 22 and don't know how to do either properly because someone else always does it. =(
deviled eggs are EASY as heck and super yummy. your husband will gobble them up!!
also try panna cotta :) easy and delicious
Post a Comment