I hit the snooze button a zillion times and at one point, even convinced myself that I was just gonna skip my run, catch up on some sleep, and then try to do the run on my own the following day. Well, I couldn't fall back to sleep after I made that decision because I felt so guilty.
Finally pulled myself out of bed, into the car, and up to Gardner Village. Stepping out of the car, I immediately regretted it. I wanted to turn around and drive straight back to my bed. The only thing that kept me from high-tailing it outta there was knowing that this team run was our St. Patty's Day themed run. I had a horrendously ugly shirt and a green sequined bow to wear in my hair, so I was excited to show some spirit.
But once we took pictures and started out onto the trail, it stopped being fun. Generally, the first 2 miles or so of a run are really difficult for me. But usually, once I pass that 2 mile point, I can set cruise control and just fly through it. Not this time.
By the end of the 2nd mile, I was about ready to collapse. I think my running mate Dany was getting frustrated because I was slowing down her pace. But luckily Coach Dave dropped back to run with me and Dany was quickly on her own merry way.
I made it to mile 4 and our first water stop...or what was supposed to be our first water stop. There was no water in sight. And of course, the drinking fountains at the park hadn't been turned back on yet. I felt like I was going to pass out. But since I was with Coach Dave, I didn't wanna seem like a wimp so I pushed myself to keep going.
Another half mile or so back into it, we caught up with Dany. In doing so, I just about collapsed. I was SOOOOO tired! Coach Dave advised that I'd probably better call it a day. I agreed but committed to walking one more mile and then turning around to head back.
I finally made it to the water at the next park. I swallowed a Carb BOOM! and finally resigned to ending my run early.
Making my way back to our cars, I ran into Coach Dave again who had circled back to run with summer team. He took one look at me and said, "You look like hell!" Lemme tell you, I sure felt like it!
Coach Dave ran the rest of the way with my back to the cars before turning around again to catch back up with the Spring team. (He had 20 miles to run that day. Running back and forth between teams probably wasn't the most efficient way to get his mileage in. He's a good man, that Coach Dave!)
Somehow, I made it to my car and back home without falling asleep on the drive or passing out from exhaustion. I think playing rugby and volleyball while training for a marathon is a little too much. Think I'm overexerting myself a little too much. It sucks, cuz these are all activities that I love and want to do, but I guess I need to concentrate my efforts on my marathon for now. I think I was too quick to jump back into rugby and at full-force, too. Perhaps after my marathon I can get back into it. I've waiting 3 years to play rugby, what's another 2 months?
So in conclusion, I didn't complete my 16 mile run this last week. Instead, I barely made it 9 miles. But, I live to fight another day. We all have our bad weeks, and this past one just happened to be mine. I'll work hard this week, have a nice recovery run with my team, and then kick butt on our 18 miler on March 27th. Wish me luck!!!
Oh, and come to our used book sale on March 20th from 2pm-5pm at the Provo Library! All proceeds go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Help a sista out!!!
Go Team!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment