11.19.2008

I love you not only because of who you are, but because of who you've made me


My Sweet Lālea,
As I sit typing, you lie in your crib fast asleep. You've finally exhausted yourself after a 35-minute fit of hysteria. You hate being in your play pen all by yourself! And you can't seem to understand why I, only a few feet away in the kitchen, won't come to your rescue. To tell you the truth, it's just as hard for Mommy to leave you in there by your onesies. While I do the dishes or cook dinner, I hear your sobs and my heart breaks. Even worse, I turn around and see you peering out through the netting on the play pen, red cheeked and eyes overflowing with crocodile tears. But we both have to be big girls. Now that your crawling, Daddy and I have no choice but to put you in your play pen. If we let you roam around the house, you'd surely pull out every cord from every electrical socket and tear up every magazine and book. And I have to learn that it's okay to let you cry every now and then. If I came to your rescue every time I heard you whimper, you'd never learn how to do things for yourself.

But already you have learned to do so many things on your own. One of your favorite things to do is pull yourself up to stand. You love grabbing hold of Moku's cage and hoisting yourself up. Between all the crawling, standing, and other activity your chubby little legs have actually slimmed down quite a bit! Sad! I will miss your rollie pollie legs!! Still, you're as pretty as ever! Not a day goes by without me being stopped by someone to tell me how gorgeous you are. We already knew that!!! Daddy and I both know that we have the most beautiful little girl in the world! I only hope that you will grow up realizing just how beautiful and speacial you truly are.

This past month has been difficult for us, with you terrorizing the house, choking on all the new foods you've been trying, and even with Moku lifting his leg on you!!! Numerous times, I've sat and wondered "When is someone gonna cut me a little slack?!" But then you'll sit and cuddle with me in bed, or start la-dee-da'ing pretty songs, or just look at me wih your sparkly eyes and give me a huge gummy smile. Right then I realize that through all the dirty diapers, all the spilt milk, and all the torn up magazines, lies the most wonderful gift I will ever be blessed with: having you as my daughter.

As you continue to grow, I will continue to watch and care for you. I will always be here for you when you need me. Although, there will be times when you will think you need me, but I will be busy washing dishes and cooking dinner. But, I know that you will grow to become a strong and virtuous woman. One who can make good and righteous decisions for herself. So when the time does come that I won't be there to rescue you, you'll know to get down on your knees and prayerfully ask the Lord for guidance. Your Heavenly Father loves you. Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you. I hope you will always remember that, above all else. I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

xoxo
Mommy

1 comment:

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Oh, that was a sweet letter. Lollipop will be so glad to have those when she's having a hard time later in life. That's so special. I should start doing them.

Are you feeling any better? cuz we have some partying to do this weekend...