8.25.2010

Do-Re-Mi

Have you taken the color code personality test? You know, the one that tells you what color your personality is and then delves in to all your characteristics and behaviors. Well, for those of you who know what I'm talking about, I'm a yellow.

As a yellow, I'm supposed to be very social, self-centered, and always craving attention. True, true, double true.

Growing up, I danced for years and years. I competed, performed, and pretty much just commanded the stage. And sprouting from the loins of two melodious parents, I also enjoyed singing and would often sing for many school, church, and extracurricular functions. Even now, I love love LOVE to sing and enjoy the limelight.

However, I have never been more nervous about performing than I am right at this moment.

Tomorrow is our big annual faculty retreat for the math department. The jam-packed day always ends with a department dinner that includes spouses, retired faculty, and the dean's office. This year, the special dinner entertainment is...

...you guessed it, ME!

I will be singing in front of all the people I've worked with for the past three years. Like 100 people or so. Generally, the size of the audience doesn't upset my nerves. Rather, it's the audience itself.

I've never had to perform in my professional environment. And to make matters worse, this is my very last event until I completely quit the math department for good. So, this will be the lasting impression I leave on all my colleagues. That is WAAAAYYYY too much pressure!!!

What if I screw up? The song I'm singing is "No Man Left for Me" from the Will Rogers Follies. For those of you not familiar with it, it's basically a Broadway tune meant to be belted.

I'm all for belting, but when I get nervous, my voice isn't very strong and this is a big song. I need all the strength I can muster. And at this point, it's too late to switch songs. What the hell did I get myself into?!?!?!?

Please cross your fingers for me. Say a prayer. Light a candle. Send me good vibes.

4 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

Oh good luck! I don't think I could do that. I get nervous enough singing karoke when I know I'll never see any of the people there ever again.

Anonymous said...

Crossing myself now!
jani

Tutu said...

You should have rehearsed a duet with Michelle - that would have been amazing and calmed your nerves. Good luck you will be beautiful as if I need to tell you that!!! xoxoox

Anonymous said...

Sending good vibes your way! Good luck. I am sure you'll do great!