Since getting to know more of my team mates at our Squatters party, it was fun being able to chat it up with them again during our run. Talking to friends really helps the time pass. After a while, you don't even remember that you're running. That is, until a train whizzes by you and you're almost blown right onto the tracks.
We ran south from 9000 S to 10600 S, following the UTA Trax system. Though we were following a walking path, it was still a little unnerving when a train would race by and you were blasted in the face by a gust of wind and wobbled in your stride a bit. It was also not very fun to cross the big intersections and tracks lines. I kept getting flashes of all the episodes of Rescue 911 I watched back in the day.
Little Johnny and Sarah are playing down by the train tracks when Johnny trips and gets his foot stuck between one of the railroad ties. Sarah has to run back to town for help just as Johnny sees the smoke of the locomotive billowing only about a mile down the track. Does Sarah find help and rescue Little Johnny in time?!?!?!
Obviously, I didn't get run over by a train. But by the end of my run, my shin splints were
burninating my legs off that I would have gladly slipped one of my legs across the tracks just to have a train amputate it! But good thing we were at Wasatch Running Center. We had a footwear clinic that explained how to pick the proper pair of running shoes that should help in preventing further running injuries.It was cool to see how much knowledge these runners had. They knew EVERYTHING about running and proper foot care. So I couldn't pass up the chance to get some personal training tips, so I had the crew at Wasatch Running do a gait analysis and fit me for my first real pair of running kicks. And boy are they beautiful!!
Ry actually bought them for me as a Christmas present. I was gonna have him wrap them up and put them under the tree since Christmas is only 2 weeks away. But, I went running last night and got horrible blisters. So, I had to tear into them early. I've been wearing them around the house trying to break them in. I can't wait to try them out! Just walking around in them feels like heaven! I bet them make me run 30% faster and longer!! Thanks, Ry, for my wonderful Christmas present! You're the best! And actually, Ry has been ultra supportive during this whole process. Other than breaking the bank to buy my shoes and donate to my campaign, he's taken such an interest in and showed a great enthusiasm for my training and overall goal. I don't know how many people he's already told that his wife is training for a marathon.
As part of my training, I've made it a point to tell at least one person everyday about my marathon. The more people I tell, the more real this aspiration becomes and the more important it is for me to stay committed. It's a way to keep me myself motivated. Well, I don't know how many times already, Ryan has been the one to bring up the subject of my marathon among our friends. Whether he's conscious of it of not, it means a lot to me that Ryan is so impassioned about something that's so important to me and is so eager to brag about it to others.
I always tell my husband how proud I am of him and the things he's doing. It's just nice to be on the receiving end of those compliments once in a while. So thank you, Ryan, for having faith in me and being as excited for this as I am. If I didn't have your help and support, I'd never be able to get through these 26.2 miles.
* * * * * * * * *

No comments:
Post a Comment