12.18.2009

Dear Body,

Let's face it. Up until this point, you and I have had a love-hate relationship. It's time we quit being so fickle and high time you stop screwing with me.

All our lives, we've been in and out of athletics, dance, and lots of other physical activities. I've been playing volleyball for almost 12 years and started running during rugby about 5 years ago. With that being said, physical activity is nothing new for us, sports especially. We should be pros at this point.

For the past almost 3 months, I've been doing some intense running. Just about every day, I've been out pounding the pavement or stomping across a treadmill. So why, after an entire life of being active and training devotedly for the last 3 months, why why WHY are you still giving me hell?!?

Don't be coy. You know what I'm talking about. The shin splints, tightness, and stiffness? Any of that ring a bell?

Like I said, we've been active all our lives and with my marathon training, I've been following my training schedule and giving you adequate rest when you need it, just like I'm supposed to. Shouldn't you be used to all this activity by now? Shouldn't you be on some sort of a schedule? Have a routine? One that involves pain and suffering while I'm running you to the point of exhaustion out on the track or on the volleyball court? And on the flip side, shouldn't relaxation and comfort be involved when we're resting?

Isn't that how an active lifestyle works? You're only supposed to rebel when I'm actually pushing you during exercise. Stop acting like a little baby, thinking I'm overexerting you, claiming you're not used to it. We've been doing this all our lives! Man up!

Also, I'd appreciate it if you started thinking skinny. And not that I'm complaining about your muscular legs, but it'd be nice to maybe fit into a pair of boots once in a while. Muscular calves are super bad ass and all, but brown, leather riding boots with jeans are pretty cute. I'm just saying...

Think about it.

Sincerely,
Me

No comments: