Looking through my subscriptions, I found this little gem from Amy.
Just yesterday I ordered about 4 new books from Barnes and Noble so I thought this post would be perfect.
1. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack? Usually, I don't snack. I like to read while lying down, which isn't very conducive for snacking. Plus, I hate getting the pages of my books all greasy and dirty. Yet, sometimes I'll supplement my reading with hot chocolate on drizzly days, but that's about the extent of my snacking.
2. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? During college, I'd mark my textbooks and course readings all the time. When I read for enjoyment, I rarely mark in the pages unless I come across a really poignant quote.
3. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open? I hate to dog-ear my books. I feel like it ruins the pages. I usually just use
old receipts or index cards lying around the house to keep my place in books. Though, I did just get some cool little magnetic bookmarks for my birthday that I've been using. Hopefully I won't lose them. I've been known to misplace bookmarks, thus, the reason for using index cards and other scraps.
4. Fiction, Non-fiction, or both? I generally read historical-fiction but lately I've been reading a lot of non-fiction crime and history novels. I enjoy them both.
5. Hard copy or audio books? ALWAYS hard copy. First of all, I can never pay attention to audio books. Second, I one day hope to have a library in my home, so I need to collect as many books as possible for the shelves. Third, holding a hefty hardback in your hand, feeling the weight and thickness of it, is somehow satisfying and familiar.
6. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point? Usually I like to read to the end of chapters. Though, I often fall asleep while reading so I end where I end!
7. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away? I don't think I've ever stopped and looked up an unfamiliar word. I've usually been able to figure out the meaning from the context.
8. What are you currently reading? I'm reading a non-fiction work by John H. Davis called Mafia Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the Gambino Crime Family. I'm only about 100 pages in, but I'm already addicted. I love love LOVE learning and reading about the Mafia. Next on my list to read is Mario Puzo's The Godfather. I've seen the movie a bazillion times but never read the saga. I'm excited!
9. What is the last book you bought? Well, I'm waiting on the books I ordered from B&N. I bought Mario Puzo's series, a couple chicklit books and another Jodi Picoult, The Pact.
10. Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time? I generally read one book at a time because I get so enthralled by that book and can't put it down. But, when I begin reading something that I totally detest, I usually start up another book to try rid the bad taste left in my mouth from the other.
11. Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read? I love reading in bed, under the covers before I go to sleep. Or, I like reading on top of a freshly made bed on rainy days with the lights out and the blinds open. The dreariness and gloom add to the ambiance of cozy reading.
12. Do you prefer series books or stand alone books? Series are fun to read because you have something to look forward to when you're done reading the first book. But, stand alone books are great to read, too, because they can be quick and compelling.
13. Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over? I've read a lot of Phillipa Gregory and Jodi Picoult books. I wouldn't necessarily say they were my favorites. They just tend to be the books I gravitate toward because since I'm familiar with them, I know they'll offer suspense and intensity at some point during the course of the story.
14. How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Right now, my books are sadly thrown into our china cabinet, threatening to break the glass shelves! Like I said, I do have plans to start a library, but right now we don't really have the space or money for legitamate bookcases. In the near future, I hope to purchase and start peicing together the Ikea Billy bookcase system. When that happens, I'll probably organize them by genre, alphabetically by author's last name. Wow, that seems like adaunting task. I already have so many books!
1 comment:
Don't you mean the reason you've never looked up the meaning of a word is because you know the meaning of ALL words? Don't be modest Cali, just let it out you little smarty pants you!
Post a Comment