10.20.2009

Hamthrax Vax and Crazy-Bacon Shots

{{{Full credit given to Gina for the title}}}

Three people in my office have the swine flu. T-H-R-E-E...out of six. And, my friend from my ward, all 4 of her children have/had it. And I swear Moku has it. WTF???

To keep from getting infected, I decided that it was time for us to get vaccinated. I looked up the in
fo at the Utah County Health Department. Their site said that they had just gotten a shipment in last Thursday and anyone caring for or living with infants and those 6mos-24yrs old were eligible to get the shot. Woo hoo! That's us!

I take Baby over to the health building and find out that as of yesterday afternoon, they had run out of the nasal mist. All they had left were the injectables and they were reserving them for children 6mos-2yrs and pregnant women. Well, I am neither of those things but I decided to go ahead and get Lolli her's. However, it wasn't in the stars.

I get out of the car and see a 9 mile line wrapped around the building,
 through the parking garage, and into the street. The police officer standing guard stopped me from getting into line, saying "Sorry, not taking anyone else today. Come back tomorrow."

UGH!!!! If my baby gets the swine flu between now and tomorrow, I'm gonna kill someone...starting with that police officer first!

Well, I decided to pull myself out of bed early this morning, and drug myself and Lolli back to the health building. We pull up, and see the same scene unfolding as yesterday. 
Yup, miles and miles of people. We finally get inside the building, where the line continues to serpentine through the halls, and eventually make it up to the front. Just before throwing a tantrum because I'm so impatient and honestly think that my child is gonna get swine flu from the kid hacking up a lung in line right behind us, I overhear one of the facility directors saying that there's enough vaccine for all of us. Quickly, I go from exasperated to ecstatic. My child is not gonna die from Hamthrax and neither will I nor Ryan. Oh happy day!!

So, about 45 minutes later, me, Lalea, and Ry all walk out of the health building with tender shoulders and sporting pink camo BandAids. I quickly sped home and called everyone in my family and told them to get their booties over to the health building and get injected...not for their sake, but for mine. Can't be too safe.

There's no way I wanna spend this winter in the hospital with the puke 'n duke. And Baby's already been hospitalized once this year. I don't have plans to take her back in. 

If you haven't gotten vaccinated yet, I suggest you do so. In fact, I don't think I can continue my friendship with those who haven't been vaccinated. Sorry, it's not worth it. I choose life. 

2 comments:

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Ha Ha Ha!!!! That's just too funny! I guess we can't be friends then.... I'm pretty sure we're not gonna die from this silliness...but just in case we do, you better not come to my funeral, just in case I'm still contagious.

Victoria Elder said...

haha oh boy i heard about the ridiculous-ness of the lines waiting for this vaccination