10.28.2010

Best Seller??

Every once in a while I get on a reading kick. I find a good book that jump starts my obsession and then for the next 3 months all I wanna do is read anything and everything I can get my hands on. But then, of course, I read one book that is just so horribly terrible that it makes me wanna pluck my eyes out and give myself paper cuts with the pages of the book. And when that happens, I usually take a break from reading for another 3 months until I find another well reviewed book and try it again.

For the last little while, I've been in the obsession cycle. I've read so many books in the last few weeks that my friends on Twitter are getting sick of my reading updates. (No joke. A friend got mad cuz he kept seeing my Tweets pop up every time I updated my progress on GoodReads. I think he's just jealous cuz he can't read!! j/k)

I finally got hold of a copy of Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I had heard lots of good things about this book, and it had been at the top of the best-sellers list for a long time. I was excited to see what all the fuss was about.

I cracked open the spine and sank in, waiting to be impressed. I kept waiting, and kept waiting, and kept waiting. At about 150 pages into the book, still nothing had happened. I was about to throw in the towel. Who the hell cares how much coffee the freakin' Swedish people drink or where the hell the main character goes on a walk each morning?!? There's absolutely no plot and zero character development.

Finally, FINALLY, when I just couldn't take it anymore, I get some action. Mind you, I'm already 3/4 of the way through the book at this point and only now the plot starts to unravel? The writing and dialog is still horrible, mind you, but at least we've got some kind of story line.

At this point, I'm just eager to finish the damn thing so I can move on to something more interesting. Doubt I'll be reading the subsequent books of the series. Stieg Larsson did not impress. And all you out there who wrote positive reviews and told me the book was good...you're all liars!

There is absolutely NOTHING positive about this book, especially subject matter. You enjoy page after stifling page of financial jargon and economic debates? Well then this book is for you. Are you intrigued by sadists, rapists, and serial killers? You've come to the right place!

How depressing. Think I need a Zoloft to finish this thing. I'm in too deep now to just put it down and walk away. Plus, I've kinda got this OCD thing about finishing books all the way through. If I start a book, I absolutely HAVE to finish it. For some reason, I can't walk away. It's like it'll haunt me forever if I don't finish it.

~sigh~ Just another cross I bear.

4 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

*shug* I liked the book. I'm not sure why, but I didn't even find the "boring" parts that boring. Granted, I'm not sure if I would reread this particular book but I do want to (eventually) read the rest of the books in the trilogy.

Tutu said...

I warned you there was no plot until 3/4 of the way through!! I don't get what all the hype was either and I'll never see the movie because it would have to be R rated for all the needless disturbing stuff Stieg put in there. I could have saved you the suffering by just telling you the ending!!

Tommy and Teisha said...

Good to know I was really thinking about reading this book-- This is how I felt about Water for the Elephants... so boring but it got such good reviews.

B.J. said...

If you have OCD about finishing books, Zoloft would not be the thing to take. It would make you not finish the book.