6.06.2010

10K Fun Run in the Sun

While we were in Vegas last weekend, I decided that I might as well sign up for a race and make the most of my holiday weekend. I even talked my brother into running with me.

He had run with me in the past while I was training for my marathon, and it was really fun chatting and running with him along the Provo River Parkway trail. However, Jord was a little worried about the race since it was a 10k, and the farthest Jordan had ever run before was about 4.5 miles.

I assured him that since we'd be in Las Vegas at a lot lower altitude, he'd be golden. I was even stoked about the elevation drop. I signed up for the race thinking I was gonna set a new 10k personal record.
So race day rolls around and we're pumped!

We cruise up to the packet pickup and Jordan looks out along the horizon and notices a few mountains. He asks me, "Are we running out to those?" I take a a glance in the direction of the mountains, snicker a little bit and dismiss his comment by saying, "Yeah right! That's hella far out there."

We grab our bibs, line up at the starting line, and get ready to do work. Gun fires and we're off!

Coming off the starting line, we pound out about half a mile through a straightaway, then we round a corner to the right. As soon as I come around the corner, I'm face to face with a HUGE hill that leads straight up to the base of those very mountains I scoffed at just minutes before.

The entire time I'm thinking, "There's no way we're running all the way up this hill. The course will turn any second...any second now...wait for it...wait for it..."

No, no. It never turned. We went all the way up. I ran a 2 mile, 3.5% grade hill. If you don't know what that means, let me break it down. It was a long-ass, big-ass hill!!!! I was dying!! So much for that personal record. I was just hoping not to fall into an exhausted heap along the side of the road! And to make matters worse, Jordan decides he's gonna show off and run like a freakin' cheetah. So I'm left to suffer all by myself. I didn't even have my iPod to distract me from my misery.

Finally --FINALLY--I crest the hill and the course turns again to the right. And the second I round that corner, I'm met but yet ANOTHER huge hill! At that point, I just wanted to turn around and walk back to the start, get in my car, and drive back home to Utah.

Really, we're gonna run this entire race up hill? 6 miles of hell? REALLY?!? And better yet, this second hill is gonna be a 5% grade?

Why does Baby Jesus hate me so much sometimes???

I battle up the second hill, give the mountain side the finger, turn around and book it back down. I don't even know where Jordan is at this point. I don't even care. I'm over this stupid race. So pissed! Why the hell didn't I look at the course map before I signed up for the race? There's what? One mountain in Las Vegas and I had to run up it????

I get back down the mountain, cross the finish line at 1 hour and 14 minutes, 5 minutes past my goal time. Lame!!!

And Jordan? Oh yeah, he finished in 55 minutes, earning him the 1st place spot in his division. His first ever 10k, and only his 2nd ever official race and he places first in his division?!? Super show off.

But come to find out, even with my slow time, I actually placed 3rd in my division. Awesome, right??? Too bad they only awarded 1st and 2nd place with a certificate.

Once again I get screwed.

Come on Baby Jesus!!!!

3 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

But hey, you got to the finish!

Elaine said...

Hahahaha, this was so funny. I'm proud of you though!!! If I had seen those hills, I would've walked all of it! Way to go!!!!

clothed much, a modest fashion blog

Tutu said...

Bahahahahaha!!! It was awesome watching you throw a tantrum while your brother skipped ahead of you!!! That's my Claire!!! Did I mention Jord was hopping over the orange cones on his way back!!!!