12.18.2008

Musings: Christmas Presents

I've decided that it's time I start asserting my opinion...as if I haven't been doing that already. Therefore, I've created a category of my blog entitled Musings. As one would expect, this category will contain all my thoughts on a particular subject. You don't have to agree, or disagree with my opinions. Shoot, you don't even have to read! I don't need your approval to feel validated! I just wanna write!

So, to get the ball rolling, I thought I'd start off by talking about Christmas presents. Tis the season, ya know?!

The main thing I struggle with is this: why do people throw themselves into debt each year just because it's Christmas? Why is Christmas the time to start spending? Why not just accrue debt all year long? That way, it'd be like Christmas everyday! I mean, I get the fact that Christmas is the time to be generous and giving, but isn't it more important to be giving of ourselves rather than giving of Xbox 360s? I'm pretty sure that the true meaning of Christmas is supposed to be focused on Christ's birth, not centered around Juicy Couture purses and plasma TVs.

Yet every year, I find myself maxing out my credit card just so I can get Ryan that perfect present. But, I think this year I've finally reached my limit. Sorry, Honey. No surprise rims for your car hiding in the closet this year. Mama Toot is way too far into debt to buy you anything more than a hoodie from TJ Maxx.

Besides, like I said, we should be giving of ourselves anyways, not of our wallets. So this year, I'm gonna give you unconditional love and adoration as a gift. Now isn't that more satisfying than a new Range Rover? We're already in it for the long haul, time and all eternity. So instead of buying you any gifts, I'm just gonna remind you of the most important gift you could ever have and wish for...ME!!! The woman who bore your child after a miserable and whiny pregnancy. The woman who has worse bawdy humor than most men you know. The woman who bought massage oil, vowing to give you a back rub, but who has yet to live up to that promise. The woman who forces you to play board games with the family.

For your gift this year, I'm just going to shower you with those memories and experiences. Little Baby Jesus will surely approve of that instead of some frivilous material good. And since it's from the heart, I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than a new laptop, don't ya think?

You're right. I guess I'll just open up another credit card and head over to Best Buy.

1 comment:

Tutu said...

I think you could have a successful future as a lampoonist - you should research the possibility