12.06.2010

Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Marathon 2010


I did it, son! It super sucked, but I did it.

The whole thing didn't suck. Actually, the first half was awesome. I was running at a pace of about a 10:45 minute mile until the half and full split. The first half was also awesome because runners owned the strip. We got to run right down Las Vegas Blvd in the shadow of all the huge hotels and casinos. And as we ran by, we could see the Bellagio fountains and Mirage volcano spouting off. (An honor since those performances are generally reserved for the evenings.)

As soon as the half and full split, however, things automatically became a bit sketchy. First, we're met by a long-ass hill. I guess it wasn't too bad, it was just an overpass. Still, when you've already nearly sprinted 13.1 miles in an attempt to make the cut-off, a big hill isn't really something you're eager to climb up. Needless to say, many runners accompanied me in walking up that crap.

I think somewhere back at mile 10, I started to get a hot spot on my right foot. By about mile 15, it was a full blow blister that hurt like a mofo. But soon, the blister became the least of my problems.

By about mile 19, my entire left foot was jacked. My toes were cramping, my arch was aching, and even my ankle felt like it was about to just break in half. And since I suppenate pretty severely, just right of the ball of my foot started throbbing.

I made it to my family at mile 21 but couldn't stop. Not because I was determined to get it done but because if I had stopped, I wouldn't have been able to start again. So I said my hellos and jogged on by. Of course, I was no longer running a 10:45 at this point. It was more like a 12:30 minute mile...when I wasn't walking.

Miles 21-25 were some of the lonliest. It super sucks not having a team to run with. There were tons of peeps out there in the TNT purple jerseys, and I did chat them up a bit. But for the most part, I was all by my onesies. It was hard hard HARD to will myself to keep going. Every muscle in my body ached and it wouldn't have surprised me if my entire right foot just fell off mid stride.

I finally make it to mile 26 back along the strip and there's tons of people cheering. I suck it up and quicken my pace to about 11 minutes. I get into the chute and dig deep for a 9 minute pace.

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:38:30 and a shiny new medal!!!! Oh, and a picture with Elvis.

Shortly after, I hobbled to grab my bag outta gear check and promptly collapsed atop my mylar blanket spread out onto the asphalt. Don't worry, I didn't pass out or anything. I was just so exhausted and I could barely walk.

That evening, I replenished all the calories I burned during the race with chili cheese fries, a baked potato smothered in butter and sour cream, and a 10oz prime rib. Yup, it was all worth it!

3 comments:

Mackenzie said...

GIT IT GURL! And oh man, do I feel your pain. I ran a RANDOM half marathon in March when my friend didn't feel like running it. Ran it without training= lots of spontaneous fun but also lots of hilarious days of me limping around campus.

Gina Driggers said...

You are amazing!! Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, speechless...amazing!