4.26.2010

Training Day 18 - Gardner Village

K guys, you ready for what I'm about to lay on you???

I.

RAN.

T-W-E-N-T-Y.

MILES.

Can you believe it?!?!? I can't either. If you would have told me a year ago that I would be running 5 miles let alone 20, I would have laughed in your face and then stuffed my own with another Oreo.

5k? Do it in my sleep.

10k? Just getting warmed up.

Half marathon? Barely breaking a sweat.

Full marathon? Right around the corner!!!

20 freakin' miles!!! I can't get over it! I'm so amazed by myself and my ability that I can't help but feel proud and brag about it to all those who will listen!

This will be the farthest I run until my marathon. And now that I've done 20, those last 6.2 miles are just time on my feet. I'm golden!

I have to admit, though, I was so jovial about this 20 mile run while I was actually running.

Since different teams were running different mileage on Saturday, I ran a good portion of the 20 miles by my onesies. I ran the first 9 miles with Steph, but since she only had to run 16 that day, she turned around before I did. I was left to run the last half all alone.

I was doing all right until about mile 15 and I started getting a bit dehydrated. I finally made it to the next water stop and chugged like 16 gallons of Gatorade. And in the short time that I had stopped to rehydrate and refuel, my muscles started freezing up. I immediately became so stiff that I really didn't think I could run one more stop. But alas, I made myself a deal that if I ran one more mile, I'd let myself walk the remaining 4.

That next mile was probably one of the hardest I've ever ran. Every square inch of my body was aching and even though I had just guzzled down fluids, I was still close to being dehydrated. I was in tears and nearly ready to give up when I saw one of my team captains, Scott, pedaling toward me on his bike.

He gave me the verbal equivalent of a pat on the back and told me that just 2 weeks before I had already run 18 miles so he and I both knew I could do it. I sucked it up and kept running...though at a VERY slow pace.

Scott helped me set mini goals and before I knew it, I was past the next two water stops and on to my very last mile.

Near the end, Coach Dave also met up with us on his bike and pedaled along until I was about 1/2 mile out. The trail was fenced off, so Coach Dave and Scott couldn't squeeze their bikes through and I was once again left on my own. But with the pep talk and encouragement I just received from Scott and Coach Dave, and with the end literally in site, I not only ran the last 1/2 mile to the finish on my own, but I also increased my pace.

On my way home, I pretty much bawled like a baby the entire time. I cried not only because my body was so sore but also because next to getting married, graduating college, and having a child, successfully running 20 miles was one of the best moments of my life.

I know that when I finally run my marathon in less than 3 weeks, I'll be an emotional wreck. Crossing that finish line will be one of the most incredible feelings. And I'm so happy and excited to share that moment with all my friends and family.

Thank you, thank you for your love and support.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW I am impressed. Thinking about running 20 miles makes me need an inhaler lol. That is impressive! :)

Amy said...

god..you are a goddess. i'm so proud of you - thats pure determination! i think its so great that you have such awesome support from your coach, captain, and family. It makes thing easier when you have people rooting for you. Remember that your readers are rooting for you too! :)

Tiffany said...

Congrats on running 20 miles!!! I in my right mind even get puffed out in 100m! :P

I'm glad you have such lovely people to give you the support on your journey :)

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

I'm so freaking proud of you! I started crying just reading this. Way to go! Keizya is asking to see Lollipop right now...we should hang out...friends.

Tutu said...

I'm speechless!!! I'm so incredibly proud of you. What an accomplishment you've made. We can't wait for the marathon. I just hope we can pick you out among the 2,000 runners!!

XOXOXOXOX

Unknown said...

hey! you visited my blog ages ago and i'm so sorry for being late getting back to you but.. better late than never?!?! hehehe! anyway, WOW... congrats on that accomplishment! i've tried and failed with committing to running.. i just get bored! haha! I'm going to try again this summer :)