7.01.2009

Phobias

This morning I saw my life pass before my eyes. Whilst eating Top Ramen mixed with some pretty potent chili sauce, I started coughing. Pretty soon, I was throwing up uncontrollably for 5 minutes nonstop. I had noodles and chili sauce spewing out of my mouth, nose, and I swear my ears. My throat and nostrils burn just thinking about it. Needless to say, I probably won't be eating Top Ramen again for a while.

As I relive that traumatic experience, I contemplate other things that make me fear for my life.

Spiders
In actuality, any creepy crawly thing makes me soil myself. I am so deathly afraid of bugs. I'm so scared of them that I won't even get close enough to kill one. I will scream for my husband or nearest male to rescue me from the throws on an insect. Once, a spider came creeping across the kitchen floor with pure intent on eating me. I yelled for Ryan but he just yelled back at me, saying I should just stomp on it. After a few more sobs and a few more tears, Ryan finally acquiesced. But the thing is, even after the spider was killed, I couldn't get near it. He finally convinced me to grab a wad of paper towels and pick it up and flush it down the toilet. Pretty sure I cried up until I flushed the sucker out to sea. I'm that scared. Seriously.

Heights
I think I'm really just scared of falling. I can picture myself losing my footing on a ledge and tumbling down a mountain cliff. While I was pregnant it was even worse. Even walking down a flight of stairs, I had this fear of slipping on a step and then hurtling down the entire flight of stairs to wind up at the bottom in one bloody heap. Gross, I know. But that's what goes through my mind. Don't ask me how I survive snowboarding. Riding up the ski lifts, all I do is imagine 1001 ways I could fall off the ski lift and plummet to my death.

Death
Not in the sense that I'm scared to die, but that something is going to happen to Ryan or Lolli. Ry thinks I'm full of it when I call him every now and then to check on him. If Ryan isn't home from work at a reasonable time, I start worrying that maybe a huge plate of steel fell on him at the shop and flattened him. Or worse, I have nightmares of waking up in the morning to get Lolli out of her crib only to find her not breathing. These fears are very real to me especially because I lost my father so suddenly.

Looking over this short list, I can think of about 10 more things I'm scared of: sharks, killer jelly fish, tight or confined spaces, bikinis...

Am I really that big of a baby? Or are there others out there that are just as frightened by these things as I am? Come on. Own up.

4 comments:

JWolfgramm said...

thats funny. I have the same "death" issues. I always think the worst. I freak out if Jake hasn't called me or if I can't get ahold of him on his phone. I always think he may have gotten into an accident and I freak myself out.

Katie said...

I have all those same phobias! Dennis makes fun of me all the time for my fear of creepy crawlies and my need to check on Ben. It's great to know I'm not the only one.

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Ummm. I think the phobia's are normal, but some of them are a little out of control, like the spiders one. But I do the same thing that you do with the falling one, but it's with everything sometimes, not just falling. Like riding on a 4-wheeler, boat or anything else Jeffrey might be driving. I have the same phobia of Keizya not waking up or Jeff not being home right on time...I think it's a wifey/womanly/motherly thing. Let's consider it a gift instead of curse! ;)
Miss you, we're not going camping this weekend, birthday parties and backyardagains happening. If you guys go, take pictures and have fun!

Angenelle said...

eek!! sorry that that happened! i HATE throwing up!
I'm with you on the spiders thing! can't even handle it! one night i drew a bath and was about to get in when i saw a spider on the faucet! i totally freaked and made stef some and kill it! (i was wrapped in a towel at that point!) needless to say, that was not an enjoyable bath! haha i was so paranoid the whole time!