
My world is crumbling around me. Not really, but some times it sure seems that way...now is one of those times.
For the past 3 years, Ry and I have been living rent free in a house owned by my father-in-law. The house used to belong to Ry's grandparents, but after they passed away, Ry's dad inherited it. We have been living in the basement while Ry's brother and his family has been living upstairs. We've made a pretty good home for ourselves in our little basement. I've grown quite fond of it. But, alas, we knew that our stay here would only be temporary. All good things must come to an end.
Ry's dad is finally giving us the boot. He's been living in a camper for a while now,
and I don't blame him for wanting to have a real place to sleep, shower, and stretch his legs. We knew that this day would come and I thought that we'd be prepared for it. I pictured Ry either in graduate school or at least on the payroll for Corporate America, beginning his career. I
would be a stay-at-home mom, pregnant with my second child while working on my MS degree in print publishing through Pace University. We'd be living in a cute apartment or getting ready to purchase our own little town home.Reality check. Ryan hasn't had a single call back or interview with any companies and has yet to take the GMAT or apply for grad programs. I am working about 35 hours a week in the BYU math department, still trying to find the money to pay the hospital for the delivery of our first child. To top it all off, we're preparing to move out...but have no where to move in!
Actually, we do have a couple options when it comes to living arrangements. We can wait til my brother's town home is finished being built, upon which he and his family will move out of my mom's house and leave a vacant room for Ry and I. Or, the Huntsmaniacs have offered to let us crash with them for a while. Ry absolutely refuses to live at my mom's for reasons I'm sure need no explanation. I refuse to live at the Huntsmaniacs for fear that our friendship would be ruined. However, this past Monday night, we sat down with the Huntsmaniacs and went over all the pros and cons about us moving in with them. Since this topic is still up for debate, I thought I'd recreate my pros/cons list to see if I come up with anything else.
Pros
- We wouldn't be homeless
- We could store all our stuff in the Huntsmaniac's shed and crawl space
- We'd save gas money by not having to drive down to Spanish Fork to hang out...we'd already be there!

- We could save money by splitting the cost of utilities, household items, groceries, etc.
- There'd be extra hands to help out with chores and babysitting
- We could trade off on cooking meals
- I'd have someone to watch scary movies with
- I'd have access to a piano
- We could finally have camp outs on the trampoline
- We'd be closer to Ry's mom and hopefully be able to see her more often
- Ry would be closer to the shop
- We'd always have someone to hang out with
- Nikki could teach me how to be crafty
- Moku would have a huge yard to run around in
- The babies would have new toys to share
- I'd have someone to go on walks with
- Moving would give us a chance to condense and organize
- We'd get to join a new ward
- We'd have better access to a boat
- We'd have satelite/cable again
- I could play Rock Band all night long

- I'd be far from work and would have to deal with rush hour
- Baby would be at grandma's all day until I was done with work because Ry wouldn't drive up to Provo to get her
- I'd be far from LA boxing
- We don't know how long we'd be staying; the Huntsmaniacs might get sick of us
- We'd be far from my mom
- Moku might get even more neglected
- Ry's Halo privileges would probably be subject to Jeff's Halo restrictions
- We'd be squeezed in to a tiny room
- Couldn't bring our movie collection
- We'd have to buy a queen size bed
- We wouldn't have enough closet space to house all our clothes, shoes, and my purses
- We'd be kicking Keizya out of her room
- I NEVER wanted to live in Spanish Fork, temporarily or otherwise
- There are less shopping and entertainment areas in Spanish Fork
- Two babies in close proximity means more crying and more spreading of illnesses
- Past experience shows that living with friends tends to end badly; and when the friends involved happen to be two families already set in there ways...a feud is sure to break out at some point

Can you see the dilemma we're in? I just don't know what to do. I'm not sure yet which list outweighs the other. I really really appreciate the Huntsmaniacs' generosity. And they'd be making just a big of a sacrifice to let us live with them as we would be to move in. But, they're our best friends and it would be fun to play with them 24/7. At the same time, I wouldn't wanna move in, have something happen, and then our friendship be ruined. Now we're right back to the beginning! What do we do?!?!?
AHHHH!!! I am so stressed. I wish I could just come home from work tomorrow and find a check for $500k in my mailbox. Who said money can't buy happiness? I'm broke as a joke right now and depressed. I'm pretty sure if we had the monies, we'd be buying a house, avoiding this whole dilemma, and be a whole lot happier.
4 comments:
WOW, what a mess huh! Well you could live in our unfinished basement; it's dusty and dirty and no bathroom. ;)
I'm sure something will work out with a little time and prayer.
I'm betting you won't end up hating the Huntsmans, but I TOTALLY understand the fears.
We'll call you up to hang out at our place for a break too.
Yes, cuz you will definitely need a break from the Huntsmaniacs!!!! That's sweet of you Candace. For real, it will help the Schoeny's feel like they're not emprisoned to us. And just so you know Cal, there are 21 Pro's and only 16 con's...I'm pretty sure that's 5 more pro's than con's...which means your move in date is...as soon as Popper's walks over here! Yay! Hee hee, just kidding Poppers, don't worry, you're mom and dad will walk with you. Did I tell you I cleaned out our solo for the high chairs to sit? Yes, next project, the Schoeny's closet space!
OK - but you can't end up hating your family (wait - maybe you can) anyway....my vote is you move in with your mom. She will love you forever!
You could move into our apartment for like a month, all of June. You wouldn't have to pay rent, except for utilties.
Post a Comment