3.18.2009

Suction Tubes and IVs


Many of you have already heard, but Lolli was admitted to the hospital this past Sunday. She had a severe case of RSV and perhaps a bacterial infection on top of that.

RSV is like a really bad cold. But unlike adults, babies are unable to blow their noses, so all the phlegm and mucus clogs their lungs.

Lolli got really sick on Saturday night, coughing hysterically and feverish. Sunday morning, I came home from Sacrament to a little girl who looked like a rag doll. She was completely limp and listless. She had a crazy high fever and could hardly breath. I hurriedly took her to the doctors where they gave her a nebulizer treatment of arbuterol. They sent us home with our own nebulizer and instructed us to give her treatments every 4 hours and to call them back with an update.

The doc had us bring Baby back in when we told him that she was doing even worse than before. Back at the clinic, the nurse practitioner said that Lolli was borderline; we could either take her home and continue to give her arbuterol, or we could get a second opinion. Second opinion please!!

The doctor came back in and said the same thing, that she was borderline. But to be safe, he was gonna send us to the hospital. Well, about 4 hours later, poor Lolli is hooked up to an IV, oxygen, a billion different monitors, and is having tubes shoved down her throat every four hours to suck out all the mucus. I about lost it. It was the saddest, most traumatic thing ever! They had to draw blood and couldn't get a vein to pop up. So, they pricked her like a million different times. And since Baby was already so faint, she didn't even have the energy to fight back. She just laid there and moaned.


But, I'm happy to report that she's been making a great recovery. The doctors say we'll most likely be able to go home tomorrow. They've continued sucking out all the mucus every 4 hours, but they've turned down her oxygen and have disconnected her IV drip.



She seems to be doing pretty well. If we can just get her to start eating, then we're home free. Keep your fingers crossed!

6 comments:

Jimmy said...

We're sad to learn that Lolli has been so sick. Hopefully you'll be able to bring her home tomorrow. We love you and you'll be in our prayers.

Stefanie said...

Cali I'm so sorry Lolli is sick! RSV is so scary, Ella had it earlier this year too! Please let me know if you need anything!

Anonymous said...

How tramatic, a real jail crib they've got there for her as well!
Hopefully today she comes home!
In our prayers! ;)

Marcistar said...

Cal...wow! I'm so sorry! Poor little thing! Ella kind of had it earlier this year too. We didn't have to go to the hospital or anything so we got lucky! I'm so sorry again! At least she still looks adorable even with all the tubes!! Let me know if I can do anything!

Victoria Elder said...

Wow way sad! I am glad she is doing better & wish you guys the best, I've always been so worried about Rsv, my nephew had it so bad too last year

Nancy said...

That's such a scary thing! I'm glad to hear she's gettin' better. Yeah for good doctors (who eventually get it right)!