10.27.2008

UVU vs BYU

Last Saturday, Ryan had a rugby game. I arrived at the pitch ready to get angry over the coach not playing my husband or my brother. To add insult to injury, UV was playing BYU...aka a division 1 team ranked 3rd in the nation. Poor little UV was just a little blip on the map next to BYU. Needless to say, I honestly wasn't expecting very great things from UVU. Therefore, I wasn't prepared for the havoc that was unleashed on the field during the second half of the game.

As I suspected, Ryan side-lined it for the first half of the game. However, Jordan got to start and was out there, rucking with the best of them. About 10 minutes in to the second half, we see one of UV's huge Poly players, Manu, get all kinds of beligerent. he starts yelling and mouthing off to one of the BYU players. UV team mates are holding Manu back as he is starting to take swings at the cocky BYU guy, who's being just as beligerent. The game continues and the teams play on.

Not five minutes later, I see two guys come out swinging from a ruck. Low and behold, it's the same BYU kid and this time, my brother. They're not just yelling at each other, they're full on fighting. I stand up and start screaming, "Jordaaaaan!!! Kill him! Kick his ass!" (As I'm now graduated, I no longer have loyalty to BYU...only the women's rugby team...Women's Cougar Rugby for life!) Jordan gets a few good hits in on the guy's face and then his team mates break up the fight. As they're dragging Jordan away, I see a brown fist of fury, in the form of Manu, flying throug the air. All of a sudden, CRACK!!!! The BYU jerk is on his back. Manu laid him flat out! Of course, both Manu and Jordan were ejected from the game. But at least they went out, guns blazing! Plus, Ryan got to sub in. And as icing on the cake, Ryan even got to shove some other BYU kid's face into the dirt. He said the kid kept holding on to his leg, dragging him back down in to the ruck as he was trying to roll away. So, what does Ryan do? He resorts to violence and starts ramming the guy's head into the ground. Good boy! He makes me so proud!!!

All in all, the game turned out to be pretty exciting. The most interesting thing of all, though, was that the fight between Jordan and the BYU kid wasn't actually instigated by Jordan. I think that's a pretty big breakthrough! It seems that at every rugby game, Jordan does anything and everything he can to get into a fight. It's not rugby unless Jordan gets into a fight! But for the first time, this fight actually wasn't his fault. Surprise! I just hope from here on out, all the rugby games will be as exciting.

Give blood. Play rugby.

2 comments:

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Wow, I have to come to a game with you. And...I'm pretty sure I know the Manu you're talking about...Jeff got him fired from the Willey's.

Tutu said...

I was indeed a proud mom this day!!