Even now as I rewatch this I'm teary-eyed and covered in goosebumps!! Following this scene, Lady Ashley (Nicole Kidman) and little Nullah share this exchange:
Lady Ashley: I will come and find you; whatever it takes, we'll be together againNullah: I believe you, Mrs. Boss (whispers) Mrs. Boss, I sing you to me...Lady Ashley: And I will hear you, my darling
Are you dying???? Cuz I am!!!
Perusing the interweb for more commentary about this movie, scene, and musical influence, I came across a blog entitled Behind the Voice. Author Ken Mademe writes about Australia:
Oh, that the songs we sing could bring people to a good place. Oh, that we could sing each other to health and caring. Oh, that we could sing each other to healing and comfort.
Yes, yes, YES!!! Music is such a significant and powerful tool. The effect music has on individuals is amazing.
Some of my fondest memories from my childhood were centered around the piano in our home. My mother would often play a church hymn and my siblings and I would each choose different voice parts to sing. The game would be to guess what Dad would sing as he was famous for switching parts and harmonies at random. Most of our evenings at home were spent in this manner. As a family, we were brought together by our shared love of music.
The same holds true today. While my brothers enjoy listening to rap and my sister sings along with show tunes, we still find common ground around a hymn book and piano.
Music offers us the unique ability to unify ourselves and express our feelings for one another.
Each night before I put Lolli to bed, we cuddle in her room and sing songs together, including Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Not only is it my way of calming her down for the night, but it's also my way of instilling in her my love of music.
I hope she grows to find joy, comfort, and delight in music. And when she hears or sings the sweet melody of one of our bedtime lullabies, she will know of my love for her.
My sweet Lolli, I sing you to me.
2 comments:
Aw. Sweet post!
I didn't see the movie but I think my brother has a DVD of it. Gotta go get a box of tissue and watch.
Ugh, did my comment work? Well just in case.... I haven't seen the movie, but I will now! It was beautiful, and your post is beautiful!! I share your love of music and I am so grateful for it! I miss singing with you....we need to sing together, cuz we are family :) And Lollers will be grateful for the music you have shared with her....you are blessing her life. Love you guys!!!
Post a Comment