5.18.2010

Ogden Marathon May 15, 2010

All those months of training have finally come to an end...for now! All I can think about is my next race. My next marathon. My next endurance event. Running the Ogden Marathon was one of the best things that's ever happened to me, and definitely one of the most excruciatingly painful!

When you have a child, the doctors pump you full of drugs and pain killers. During a marathon, you have nothing to help ease the pain of exhaustion, dehydration, and fatigue. All you've got is Powerade, water, and a few gel packs if you're lucky.

But similar to pregnancy and child birth, crossing the finish line after having run 26.2 miles is one of the most wonderful, invigorating, and joyous moments of your life. And again, if you're lucky, you'll have your entire family there, waiting to hug, kiss, and high-five the crap outta you!

I don't want this post to be too incredibly long, but I've decided to break down the marathon by mileage as well as include a description of the pre and post race events. So without further ado, I give you, The Ogden Marathon Weekend!

Race Expo
About a week ago, Stephanie lent me the book My Life on the Run. It's written by Bart Yasso, Chief Running Officer of Runner's World magazine, Running USA Hall of Champions inductee, and all around running bad ass! His book was so inspirational that you could imagine my delight when I found out that the legend himself would be at the Ogden expo. The perfect way to start my marathon!

Team Inspiration Dinner
Carbo loading on pasta, the team and I gathered together for one last hoorah before our big adventure. We got some great advice from Coach Dave and also heard from some cancer survivors who's lives we were hoping to help with the $77,000 our team raised. GO TEAM!

Day of: 4am-7am
Running on nerves and pure adrenaline, it didn't even phase me that I had barely gotten 2 hours of sleep that night. I was so excited, scared, and ready to run this thing. Ry dropped me off at the shuttle stop and wished me luck. Since he had been researching the race route and spectator spots the night before, he informed me that he may not be able to get up the canyon at all to cheer me on until about mile 23. The roads would be closed for the race and Ry didn't really know how else to get up there. I was pretty disappointed but gave him a kiss and told him I'd just see him when I could.

With that, I loaded the bus with some team mates and made the long ascent up the canyon to the starting line. And let me tell you, it was a long-ass bus ride! As we're driving, I'm getting even more antsy and nervous. We just kept driving and driving! Finally, about 45 minutes later, we arrive at the starting line. No going back now!

Starting Gun 7am
At the starting line, there were a bunch of different pace flags that participants we supposed to line up behind according to their anticipated mile pace. The flags started at 6 minute miles and went in 1 minute increments all the way up to 10. Since there was no "Just Finish!" pace flag, some team mates and I lined up behind all the 10 minuters. And then the gun went off...

Mile 1-5

Took me a while to warm up. Being up in the canyon, it was pretty chilly. So, it took me a while to get my blood circulating as well as get into my running groove. I also had to pee super bad by the second mile. Good news though, I didn't have to poo myself, which I was really nervous about since I still hadn't unloaded all that pasta from the night before. TMI?

Mile 5-13

Finally finding my groove, I locked into my stride and cruised into the half way point, about 2 minutes per mile quicker than I thought! And what to my wandering eyes did appear as I circled around the 13.1 mile aid station??? A mohawked Ryan, bedecked in his purple Team Claire shirt!I was so surprised to see him since he really made it sound like he wouldn't be able to make it up the canyon to see me due to the road closures. But, there he was!!! And there I was! Mile 13 and I felt as cool as a cucumber. Even Ry was impressed at the ease in which I cruised into the water stop. I grabbed some water, gave Ry a kissy, then went on my merry way!

Mile 13-17
This was the most stressful part of the course. Time restrictions required that all runners make it to mile 17 by 11am. That's about 4 hours to get from Eden to the mouth of Ogden canyon. As I'm cruising down, I'm making great time and only have about 1 more mile to go. I come around the bend of Pineview Reservoir and about a half mile away, I can make out a purple mass. Then, I hear the yelling and shouting begin. It's my whole family! I make it to mile 17 with loud cheers, high-fives, and even a victory tunnel provided by Team Claire! I give Lollipop a kiss for good luck then take off again. Turns out, Lolli was sad to see me go. Having waited around for me for about an hour, she wasn't happy with getting to see Mama for only about 2 minutes. Poor girl!

Mile 17-21
Coming off the high from seeing my family at mile 17, I felt all right starting my descent through the canyon. But at about mile 19, I felt my body start breaking down. Mile 20, my skin started clamming up and I could feel bile creep up the back of my throat. I knew it was coming. And sure enough...

Mile 21
I HIT THE WALL!!!! It was all I could do to drag my lifeless body to the aid station at mile 21. A military volunteer held out some water for me and instead of grabbing the cup, I clung to her hand. She wrapped her arm around waist, held me up, and helped me walk over to a chair. I chugged a bunch of water, took another gel pack, and tried to catch my breath. The volunteer was so sweet. She kept asking me if I needed anything or if I needed her to call anyone for help. After a few minutes, I summoned up every ounce of strength I had left, thanked the volunteers, and continued down the canyon to finish it.

Mile 21-23
Not too long after my leaving the aid station, I saw a purple shirt running toward me. Coach Dave!!! I could practically see his wings and halo, as he was surely heaven sent!!!! If Coach Dave hadn't gotten there just in time, I probably would have called it quits. After hitting the wall at 21, I honestly didn't have much left in me, regardless of how badly I wanted to finish. With Coach Dave at my side, encouraging me and taking my mind off the pain surging through my body, he got me out of the canyon and to my awaiting fans.

Mile 23
Team Claire was out in full force!!!! I even got a custom made sign! It's amazing what a tube of lipstick and a pair of bare baby buns can do for your morale! With the support and cheers from Team Claire, I got my second wind and rushed off to complete the last 5k of the race.

Last 5k
Running through town, I actually caught up with one of my team captains and another team member. We walked together for about the next 2 miles when I finally found the strength and will power to start running again and finish strong. About a mile out, I started picking up speed. At this point in the game, a 13 minute mile was pretty darn fast for me!!!! I just wanted to be done with this stupid race!!!!!!

Final Stretch
Those last .2 miles are BRUTAL!!!!! Luckily, running right through town, I was met by cheering spectators who lined the streets. In tears, I pushed and pushed closer to the finish line. I could see the mob of purple up ahead. My family.

Around me, I hear other team mates who had already finished, shouting my name.

Closer. Closer. Almost there.

I can see my husband. I can hear my uncle.

The announcer congratulates the runner in front of me who has just finished.

Crying. Sobbing. Balling. I'm in pain. I'm ecstatic.

I cross the finish line.

If you asked me at that very moment if I'd ever run another marathon again, I'd laugh in your face, between all my hacking and coughing, and tell you "hell no!" But now that I'm rested, re-hydrated, and back to my right frame of mind, I can't wait to do another one!

All the training, all the suffering, and all the blisters were more than worth it.

At this point in my life, running my first marathon was the absolute most difficult and challenging thing I've ever done. But up there with graduating college, marrying my husband, and having my daughter, running my first marathon was also one of my absolute greatest life accomplishments.

And to everyone who helped me get here, I can't thank you enough. I'm indebted to you for your love, encouragement, donations, and support that you lent throughout this entire journey. I am forever grateful. I couldn't have done it without you.




Until my next marathon...

3 comments:

jazmine said...

All that I have to say is that you are AMAZING!!!!!! Especially since I have started to run more, I have a better understanding of how hard it really would be to run a marathon. YOU ROCK!!

Tiffany said...

I'm glad that you were able to overcome the difficulties in the marathon, and that you have such a supportive family to cheer you on :) Keep up the good work in your next marathon!

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Hey Sanca, ya dead man? I'm so freaking proud of you Cal! I was about to cry for you then I saw the baby buns! That's awesome. That would've been enough to keep me going for sure! I'm so glad you had lots of family there to cheer you on! Maybe your next marathon will be closer and we can come cheer you on! Good job Cali, you have officially ran a marathon! Check! Now you can go to Disneyland and do whatever you want with your life!