2.08.2010

Training Day 10 and Valentine's 5k

During the week, it's all I can do to get through my 3 and 4 mile runs. Last week I did most all of my running on the treadmill. BLAH!! I used to run exclusively on treadmills because I was too scared to run outside for fear that I'd run too far away from home, get too tired, and not be able to make it back! But since I've been running outside, treadmills have gotten so boring and I find it incredibly hard to stay motivated while on one. The second I get tired, I just hop off and head back home!

And running on the indoor track at BYU? That may be even worse than the treadmill. There are sooooo many people at the track in the
morning. The whole ROTC crew, the swimming and diving teams, 2/3 of the soccer mom population in Utah County, and every single old person. Having to dodge between Grandma and Corporal Cope, I swear it takes me twice as long to get through my miles.

So by the time Saturday rolls around, I'm thinking that there's no way I'm gonna get through the long run with my team. I was practically crawling through that final 3rd mile the other day on the treadmill! But crazy thing is, these long runs have actually become some of my most enjoyable workouts.

I dunno if it's cuz I'm running with good friends and we're just shooting the breeze the entire time, but I feel like I'm flying through the miles when I'm with my team. Granted, the runs are still difficult, especially when there are CRAZY hills involved. But surprisingly, the long runs are quite relaxing and fun.

That's how this past team run went. Of course, the first 2 miles or so were torture. I always seem t
o struggle through the first 20 minutes of a run. Needing to warm up, my body has to ease into the run and get used to exertion. But once I hit about 3-4 miles, it's like I'm on cruise control.

This past team run up at Wasatch Running was pretty chill. A nice, flat trail, good company, and a rested body all make for a gratifying run. Not to mention, I think I finally found a supplement that will provide the calories I need while running without making me poo myself: Honey Stingers. It's natural gel that tastes delish too! I'm excited to have finally found something that works. I was getting super nervous that I was gonna have a diarrhea blow out during mile 14 of my marathon!

So, since my run went so well on Saturday morning, I figured I'd try my hand again at another 5k. I rested for a couple hours after my team run, then suited back up and headed out again for another run.

Put on by the Utah Running Club, the Valentine's 5k was a simple out-and-back run through Provo Canyon. I figured I'd be pretty tired, after having run nearly 8 miles just prior to the race...and I was.

Just before the turnaround point, I could feel my legs start to fatigue. I was scared that my legs were gonna quit on me and I would have to crawl back to the finish line. Luckily, I swallowed a Stinger and got a second win. And wouldn't you know? I actually finished the race 1 minute faster than I had the week before! Probably cuz Lolli and Ry were there to cheer me on again!

I wanna do another 5k soon and try for a PR. Once I do that, I'll move on to 10k races, I think. Though, maybe I should just try for a half marathon. By the end of this month, we'll have completed a 12 mile run! Crazy! I keep inching closer and closer to those 26.2 miles. This is REALLY happening!!! Tell you what, though, I definitely couldn't have gotten this far without the help from my team, teammates, family, and friends.

A GINORMOUS thanks to everyone for all your love and support. You'll never know how much your encouragement really means. Pretty soon, I'll be crossing that finish line with thoughts of you all!

Thanks a million times over!

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

I've been running inside on my elliptical, but it's not boring because I watch TV while I'm running :P

I always struggle most through the first 20 minutes, too! That's probably why I don't do much long-distance running :S

You're so inspiring, Claire. Good luck with all your training and races!

Lady said...

At least you are motivated to run at all!! Keep up the good work CLaire :)