4.08.2009

Senate Bill 81

Last year, senate bill 81 was passed by lawmakers in an effort to crack down on illegal immigration in the state of Utah. Come July, this law goes into effect. According to KSL, "Senate Bill 81 makes it more difficult for illegal immigrants to get a job and to utilize some government services. But the responsibility of enforcement falls on police." Well, guess the SLC police department didn't get that memo.

The Salt Lake City Police Chief has decided that his department will not participate in this law. WTF?!? You mean this entire time I could have been cherry-picking the laws I wanted to follow??!! Wearing a seat belt in the car...yes. Yielding to emergency vehicles...nah. Driving on the right side of the road...no thanks, I like the left. Think of all the time I could have saved by blowing past those speed limit signs at my own pace!

Or maybe the luxury of opting out of laws is only offered to law enforcement officers. Hmm...that's an ironic statement. You can't tell me there's never been a time when an off-duty COP hasn't turned on his sirens just so he could be on time for the 8 o'clock showing of Fast & Furious.

So if the police aren't going to protect our streets, who will??

Somebody call Nicky Hilton.

2 comments:

Kaylee said...

As long as there's someone to protect us...!

Is it even legal for them to opt out of the law? I guess they could do it unofficially...

What is the world coming to? :P

beckie said...

Yes, but you fail to state why they aren't going to enforce it. The law relies on racial profiling and the police cheif states that his force should be in charge of criminal laws not civil. I totally agree with him. Could you imagine how out of hand it could get based soley on what people look like? I might never be able to get a job again.
Holla for my fellow mexicans!