If you've never read or seen The Help, there is a tender scene between the house maid, Aibileen, and the child she cares for, Mae Mobley. Mae Mobley's mother is neglectful, inattentive, and uncaring. Seeing how badly Mae Mobley needs the love and attention of her mother, Aibileen makes it a point to fill the void and positively affirm Mae Mobley's self-worth.
Rocking Mae Mobley in her nursery, Aibilene says,
"You is a smart girl. You a kind girl, Mae Mobley. You hear me? You is kind, you is smart, you is important!"And as soon as Mae Mobley is able to talk, Aibilene instructs her to repeat the self-affirmation,
"You is kind, you is smart, you is important!"Taking a cue from Aibilene and Mae Mobley, I have made it a point to tell Lolli every day how much I love her, how wonderful she is, and how perfect she will always be. We've even adopted an affirmation of our own,
I am beautiful, smart, and special!
Every time Lolli draws a picture, makes up a dance, or sings a song, Ryan and I shower her with compliments and tell her how amazing she is. We go overboard with love and praise. The way I see it, if she's not getting it at home, where else is she going to find the love and appreciation she not only deserves but needs??
There are mean, mean people in this world.
Being a curvier and bigger girl all my life, I've found myself on the receiving end of some very hurtful comments, remarks, and jabs from very close-minded, judgmental, and misinformed people. Luckily, I have a family who loves me and, more importantly, continues to express their love for me each day. I've grown to know my self-worth. I've gained the confidence to assert that regardless of what the world thinks or says about me,
I am beautiful! I am smart! I am special!!
Still, there are those who try to break us down, take that knowledge away from us. Recently, CBS WKBT news anchor Jennifer Livingston was attacked by one of these insensitive individuals. Here is a video of the hurtful email Jennifer received and her response:
"Do not let your self-worth be defined by bullies...The cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many."
Let us fill our homes with shouts of praise and acceptance, drowning out the weak voices of cruelty and ignorance. No matter the world's opinion, know your self-worth.
You are beautiful! You are smart! You are special!!

3 comments:
Couldn't have said it any better! She will grow up to be a beautiful, smart, kind woman because of her parents. The world needs more parents like yourselves, high five!
Lolli is so adorable and cute and pretty! She's lucky to have parents like you.
And that video is very touching. Bullies are just insecure assholes who think they can feel better about themselves when they point out other people's flaws.
I haven't seen that movie yet but I want to see it! I think it's important to remind your kids how beautiful they are because growing up is so hard and you can never protect them from everyone especially when they aren't under your watch, like when they're at school.
Post a Comment