10.28.2012

Gold and Crimson



Fall is the day growing shorter as the sun drifts off to sleep an hour earlier
Fall is placing tulip bulbs into the rich, fresh soil
Fall is a mother carefully sewing each stitch of a homemade Halloween costume for her anxious child
Fall is creating buck-toothed jack-o-lanterns out of a plump orange pumpkin
Fall is a masked child scurrying door to door in hope of some delicious goodies
Fall is a brightly colored leaf dancing swiftly to the ground
Fall is wallowing in a gigantic pile of gold and crimson
Fall is the graceful migration of those flying south
Fall is the cool air kissing a freckled cheek
Fall is the pumpkin spice from inside the kitchen, teasing a hungry belly
Fall is the feeling
the smell
the experience,
that I wait for all year long


So that poem was written by 7th grade me. And while I can't attest to the poetic genius of my 12 year old self, I can vouch for my undying love for fall.

The second September hits,  I'm pulling out my scarves and boots and heading to Barnes & Noble in search of a book and cozy chair.

I can't wait for more stormy days so I can wrap myself in a blanket, grab a mug of steeping tea, and wait for rain. I welcome it!

Thanksgiving will be here in just a few short weeks. Turkey, pie, and BINGO to ensue.

Christmas rushes in too quickly, taking over the golden laziness of autumn.

I beg, WAIT!

Just a few more moments--please!

3 comments:

Gnetch said...

I loved the poem! When I was 12, all I did was cry because I was me.

Wait...

Anyway, I keep seeing pictures of fall and winter and such and I'm really jealous because, as you know, we don't have them here.

Now I have to go and remember what I cried about when I was 12.

Anonymous said...

whenever the first winter storm hits will be entirely too soon for me. Unless it hits on a Thursday after I'm finished work for the week. Then that's okay.

Candice said...

I have the same LOVE/OBSESSION about Fall, it's the best time of the year!!!