I've been playing dress-up nearly every night. I've been digging into the far reccesses of my closet to try and rescue and restyle some of my more neglected pieces of clothing.
After creating an entire fall lookbook for myself, I moved on to winter since I was already on a roll. During one outfit construction, I had a shoe dilemma, not knowing which pair to wear with this particular outfit. I called Ryan in for help. He helped choose the pair that worked best with the outfit but then as he was leaving he said, "Good luck pulling that off in Provo, Utah."
My heart sank. Utah, Utah County in particular, is so far behind when it comes to fashion. And even when they do catch up, they still don't necessarily have the eye for it. Ryan and I enjoy fashion and pride ourselves on keeping up with the season's newest styles and looks. Not to impress anyone but simply because fashion is entertaining to us and being fashion conscious makes us happy and confident.
What doesn't make me happy, however, is all the slack we've gotten for our fashion choices, Ryan especially.For graduation, Ry got an amazing custom designed and tailored suit from Beckett & Robb. Talk about style. These guys are legit. From the quality of their material to the cut of the suit, these guys know their stuff. Their job is to know the fashion industry. You walk into their SLC shop and you think you've stepped in to an issue of GQ.
So Ry gets a beautiful, modern cut suit that looks incredible on him. Every single time he has worn it to church, somebody has made a comment about his too tight and too short pants or his too fitted shirt.
Oh, I'm sorry. Does your billowing Mr. Mac suit give you the authority to judge Ryan's G.Q. swag? And I see you're wearing Victoria's Secret Pink hoodie and matching sweats, which you've so delicately paired with Ugg boots. How original.
Maybe for Christmas this year I will buy everyone a subscription to Vogue or Esquire. I pray for your little fashion deprived souls.
2 comments:
My city has been named the worst fashion city in Canada (or was it the world?) because of our relaxed, yoga culture.. and the Lululemon (founded in Vancouver) that is seen and worn by everyone. Of course that was years ago and I think our fashion scene has picked up a tiny bit. Most people leave the yoga pants for the gym and the yoga studio now.
"Utah County in particular, is so far behind when it comes to fashion. And even when they do catch up, they still don't necessarily have the eye for it."
The way you described Utah, it's like you described my office/coworkers. Haha!
Post a Comment