3.06.2011

1 Year Anniversary

Exactly 1 year and 3 weeks ago, I met Tanaya for the first time. Our relationship peaked back in November when we spent 4 hours and 20 miles together.

And this past weekend marked our 1 year anniversary. So how did we celebrate? By pounding out another 14 miles, of course.

That Tanaya can really be a bitch sometimes. We truly have a love/hate relationship. The first half of the run, I was feeling good, feeling invigorated really. I get down to the end of Tanaya and find this adorable park. A few laps around and I'm ready to head back.

Well, the way back wasn't nearly as invigorating. For one, Tanaya led me straight into the wind. It took a lot more effort on the return flight, plus I was getting blisters since I forgot to Body Glide my feet. (Not to worry about chaffing anywhere else, though. You'd better believe I doused the rest of my bod in "The Glide.")

The last mile was uphill over a bridge across the freeway. At the beginning of the ascent, I looked up, dreading the next few meters. It was gonna hurt. But instead of giving in to the pain, I hammered down and opened up full throttle. I ran that last mile in about 9 minutes. That may sound slow to some of you speedsters but on average I run about an 11:30 minute mile. So to whip out a 8:57 for mile 14 after I've already huffed it for 2 hours? I'm gonna brag about it, mmkay?

The best part of our anniversary run, though, was of course the finish. Not because I was finally done running and could kick off my shoes, drink some water, and relax, but because the route ended at a breakfast buffet.

I ran up and over the freeway bridge, across a parking lot, through a parking garage, and straight into the Santa Fe casino where I promptly got in line for the $7.99 breakfast buffet. That's just how we roll in Vegas.

Here's to you, Tanaya. It's been a wonderful year. I look forward to a bright future and many more buffets to come!

2 comments:

Nikki Neurotic said...

I'd run that distance to a good breakfast buffet. Yum!

Unknown said...

at first I thought you were talking about Tenaya Gappmeyer...Chelsi's friend...haha! I was very impressed that you remembered the exact date that you met her...I mean she's funny and all, but the exact date? And what date did we meet hhhmmmmm Coozle?