8.27.2014

St. Geezy Ain't Easy


Disappointing news: I've decided not to run the St. George marathon. I'm ashamed and embarrassed, as I've never bailed on a big race like this before. Sure, I've complained constantly and threatened to quit at every turn--and every incline--but that's just always been my process. I complain and whine my way through training then complete the race and boast about my epic achievement for the following 6 months. (BTW, have you heard? I JUST had a baby.)

This time has been different. From the beginning, I was never too keen on running this race. I was all but coerced into it by my friend Stuffanie. (Name changed to protect her identity.) The day of the lottery, I about threw up when I saw I had gotten in. But I put on my big girl panties, slathered on the Body Glide, and hit the pavement.

The first couple months of training went pretty smoothly and were--dare I say--enjoyable. I was already in relatively good shape as I had already been busting my butt to shed the pregnancy weight. I had a running partner, too, which made my long runs bearable. But as I started creeping up into higher mileage, things began to fall apart.

Not only was the training getting more difficult but finding the time to do it was becoming increasingly hard to come by. Since Boyfriend works like 32 hours a day, I didn't have anyone to watch the girls while I ran. I don't have a jogging stroller, Lalea isn't steady enough on her bike yet, so bringing them along wasn't an option. I tried running on the treadmill at our clubhouse gym. If I was lucky, I'd get about 3-4 miles in before the fish started screaming her head off and annoying the crap out of all the other residents. Even if she had cooperated, there's no way I'd attempt an 18 miler on a treadmill. I'd probably burn out the belt before I even finished.

When Ry was home, I'd sacrifice our family time to go out and run away the day, complaining the entire time...complaining when I got home...complaining at church the next morning. Lots of complaining. It just wasn't fun. Training wasn't empowering like it had been in the past. I was not the least bit excited about the race. I'd never not wanted to do something so much in my life!

So when I got the text from Stuffanie that she had to drop out due to some very unfortunate and legitimate reasons, I jumped all over the opportunity to throw in the towel, as well. One of the best decisions of my life.

I'm still disappointed, though, because I had already invested so much time into it. I had gotten up to like 14 miles, I think. Halfway there. And had a half-marathon been an option, I would have totally done that.

Additionally, the race fee was non-refundable and non-transferable. So there went $100. Not to mention I forfeited bragging rights. That's the biggest letdown of all.

Though, I've already run 3 full marathons making me 3x better than most people by default.

Winning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow I had hoped to wear my purple shirt again and cheer for you then hang out after the race. Now you've got to come down at the end of February and do the black light 5 k with me

Gnetch said...

That's okay! You'll get to run the next race! But the $$$ though. :(