This year has SUCKED! I mean, legitimately, royally blew BIG TIME! 2012 was not kind to Los Schoenys. Pretty much everything bad that can happen or possibly go wrong, did.
The events of this year have left me saddened, bitter, and empty. Trying to find some solace, I've recently made it a habit of reading the inspirational Daily Messages on the church website every night before bed.
Just last night, I was reading through these messages and came across a talk given by the president of our church during the most recent session of general conference. President Monson testifies,
"...rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness."
Soooooo, what you're saying is that I shouldn't crawl into a hole and throw myself a pity party, asking everyone to feel sorry for all the bad things that have happened to us this year?? Instead, you want me to not only move on but give thanks for the blessings that did seep through the cracks of this tumultuous year? Focusing on the good rather than the bad will lead to greater happiness, you say???? It doesn't hurt to try...
Amid all the unfortunate, devastating, and down-right bad things that happened this year, there are still many many things for which I am grateful:
volleyball friends
extended family
Goldman Sachs
our new SLC house
the Take Shape for Life program
Little Readers
In the Heights
curvy girl blogs
a new sister-in-law
a new nephew
prayer
the atonement
Of course there are many more things I am grateful for and have been blessed with this year. And it's important to be mindful of those blessings instead of drowning in the sadness of our calamities and trials. While it's not always so easy to see the silver linning when faced with adversity, it is comforting to know that there is a purpose for it all, and that our Savior has already suffered for us and, therefore, understands our pain and can help us through our trials.
Know thou...that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all..." (Doctrine and Covenants 122: 7-8)
Bad things happen, even when we make good choices. It's part of the plan!
Still, the blessings are there. Help is there. We have to remember to look and be grateful for even the smallest of blessings in our lives. And when we're struggling to see the good or are maybe too overwhelmed by the bad, we can ask our Father for relief and comfort. If we do these things, we can and we will find greater happiness.
I hope this Thanksgiving finds everyone comforted, fulfilled, and content.
2 comments:
This year and last year have sucked for me. This is a beautiful post.
(Oh, I am being sincere in case I sound like I'm not). :)
<3 What doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger..
Post a Comment