6.09.2012

In Connie We Trust



Last Saturday, my family lost our dear Grandma Connie. It was so sudden, so shocking, and so devastating. While my family continues to mourn the loss of our sweet Grandma and because I am so exhausted and tired of thinking about the sadness of it all, I wanted to share some happier, more comical incidents that transpired during this tumultuous week.

  • Mom and I went to the funeral home to make all the necessary arrangements. As required by law, the funeral director was explaining to us the possibility of incidental co-mingling of ashes during the cremation process since the walls of the crematory are brick and porous. Upon hearing this Mom turns to me and says, "Oh good! Grandma will be with friends!" And knowing Grandma, Mrs. Chatty Chatterton, that would be the perfect situation
  • When the funeral director called to say that Grandma's ashes were prepared and ready, we jokingly told the babies that Grandma was on her way home. My niece Lili-pie got all serious and said, "Nuh uh! Grandma's NOT magical!"
  • We placed Grandma's urn on top of the mantle. Now the babies like to run in and out of the room saying, "Hi Grandma!" and then try to rub Grandma's belly...the bulbous body of the urn...for good luck.
  • (This episode obviously took place prior to this week but it feels appropriate to share it now.) A few months ago, Ry got his tattoo reworked. Grandma was asking what design Ryan got and he answered, "It's actually a tattoo of your walker." I, of course, had to chime in with, "Yeah, and encircling it are the words 'In Connie We Trust'"Now we can't bear to get rid of Grandma's walker...cuz who knows when I'll throw out my back again...
While these anecdotes may seem irreverent, make no mistake how much we all love and revere our Grandma. She was the sweetest, kindest, most caring woman I have known. I'm so so sorry for those of you who didn't know her. And for those of you who did, know how lucky you are.


3 comments:

Katie said...

I am so sorry Claire. I remember playing at her house when we were kids and she was always so sweet. My Grandpa passed away suddenly a couple of months ago and it is good to have that humor to get you through.

Esther McWhirter said...

Claire, Grandma Connie would be the first to laugh. She was so sweet and was so loved by all of us that knew her. These memories are the things that get us through the hard times. She's here in your heart. Love you.

Gnetch said...

I'm glad you can still make the situation light. It make things easier to bear.

Sorry again for your loss. I hope you're holding up fine. <3