4.25.2012

I've fallen and I can't get up!

About two and a half years ago, I was bending down to load Lollers into her car seat when all of a sudden, I felt my entire spine snap, crackle, and pop from the base of my neck all the way down to my butt. I thought I was paralyzed and would never walk again. Turns out, I simply threw out my back. But dang if it didn't hurt like hell!!!

I had hoped that occurrence was an isolated incident since I had started running and working out furiously  that same fall. For a long time, that was the case...until about 6 months ago.

About last summer, I was playing some outdoor volleyball, went to pass a ball and I felt the sickening snap again in my back, this time not all the way up and down like the first time but more centralized in my lower back. Fast forward another month, and I do it again. I actually do it about 3 more times all while playing volleyball but never actually doing anything that strenuous or intense. I was literally just standing there, the ball coming straight to me, and passing. I wasn't jumping, I wasn't diving, I wasn't even side stepping!

This brings us to last night. Only about 5 minutes into my first game, I extend my arms to receive the serve and I feel the all too familiar snap in my lower back. In the past when it's happened, I've been able to keep playing for a while. As long as I keep my muscles warm, I'm actually fine. It's when I rest or lie down right after play that the pain really starts to kick in.

So after I eel the snap, I take a second to stretch my back off the court, just to make sure I'm okay to keep playing for the rest of the night before resigning myself to the pain I knew was inevitable once I stopped moving. 

I play for about another 30 minutes, doing my best not to over exert myself too much. But then a ball comes shooting over the net and I know I can get it if I dive. So I do. I get the ball up and hit the floor. The second I do, my spine snaps again, all the way up and down from top to bottom. 

I can't get up. Literally...for like a minute. I finally hobble off the court and have to sit for about 5 minutes before being able to drag myself to my car and get home. 

This morning, I was supposed to accompany Lollers on her first field trip. It was all I could do to get out of bed, get her ready, and deliver her to school, let alone join her on the trip. By the time I got home, I was crying it was so painful.

I think this is the worst yet. Usually I can get comfortable if I'm sitting or lying down. Not this time. I ache and radiate pain in any position. And I don't get it! I'm active, healthy for the most part. Why do I keep throwing out my back so easily and frequently??? 

I feel so helpless. I've got my madre over here, taking care of me and my child. She'll be taking me to the doctor here shortly. I feel like I'm 12 years old again...though if I were 12 and prepubescent, I wouldn't be having these back problems. Damnit. I hate to admit it. I ain't no spring chicken. Mama is getting old!!!!

2 comments:

Gnetch said...

So sorry to hear this. I hope the doctor gives you an answer as to why this is happening and give you treatment, and give you pain meds that work.

I hope you feel better because you're a SuperMom and SuperMoms shouldn't be injured. Ever.

Jaclyn said...

just happened upon your blog. so sorry to hear about your accident. things like this are the worst! best of luck!