
I'm not ashamed to say it. We're poor. We need help from the government. WIC and Medicaid have been lifesavers. Without which, my poor Lollipop would be going hungry and wouldn't have insurance. Ok, it's not really that extreme. But, we are pretty poor and sometimes find it difficult just to make ends meet. So, WIC and Medicaid have really helped us out.
What gets me are the case workers and workforce services empolyees. First of all, you have to call 9 million different numbers just to be transferred to various different reorded messages and menu option lists. And when you finally get transferred to an actual person, you're on hold for 45 minutes. No joke! Yesterday, my expected wait time was 49 minutes before my call could be answered. There were 26 other callers ahead of me! And when I opted to just leave a voicemail, I was unable to because the voicemail box was full!!! So, what did I have to do? Go through all the stupid transfers and menu options again just to sit and wait, but this time, there were 33 people ahead of me so my wait time was bumped up to 1 hour and 8 minutes!!!
I finally FINALLY get through to someone...and this is where it gets really good. Just because I'm in dire straights right now and need a little assistance from the government, does not mean that I am any less of a person nor do I deserve to be talked to so rudely. Excuse me Mr. Workforce Services operator. I have a bachelor's degree just like you do. My husband and I both work. We're not just some low-lifes, syphoning off tax payers' money. We are tax payers!!! So what gives you the right to be so short, snippy, and condescending to me on the phone? I could have reached through the phone and wrung his stupid little neck!! Don't you for one second think that you're better than me...you're not!! Just because you hate your job and hate your life doesn't give you the liberty to make others feel stupid and as miserable as you!!
He's lucky he transferred me to my case worker when he did. I was about to rip him a new one if he gave me one more ounce of attitude. But I guess he finally did have the last laugh cuz guess where he transferred me? Not to a real person. To a voicemailbox.
Of course.
4 comments:
Did you get my text? I remember giving those medicaid cards to Schoeny... hope you didn't go through all that trouble for nothing :(
I can't stand when people look down on others because of their living situation as well. The guy you were probably talking to on the phone probably isn't well off either and doesn't have a right to talk down to you!! Anyway, I admire you for admitting that you are "poor" on something as public as the internet because not too many people have the courage to do that. =) With the economic situation right now, at least you know you're not alone!!
Your baby is sooo adorable by the way!! <3
Just think, in a little while, we can have socialized health care! That way every time you need to go to the doctor, or talk to someone about your coverage, you can expect to experience something similar to this. Isn't that so exciting?!! I just love this country. I just love how efficient the government is at running programs that should remain in the private sector. Sarcasm aside, our baby is on medicaid too, and I have absolutely nothing against that program that is for people who are like us struggling college students.
Robby, your stance is so hopelessly contradictory that I won't even bother to disassemble it as I doubt you possess the capacity to understand it. I am glad for your middle-class, suburban upbringing so that you have the opportunity to be "like us struggling college students." I am still unsure why you and your wife chose to have a baby so early rather than working to pay for school and wait until you could actually afford it. The prophets do indeed tell us not to put off having children, but they also counsel us to live within our means. But, that's between you, your wife, and the Lord. It would be nice, however, to see you complain a little less about the political leanings that support the programs you (or at least your child) benefit from.
Cali, I am sorry that you were treated poorly. It is inexcusable and sad indeed. With regard to the length of time it took to get help, maybe you'll consider that the next time political parties are debating about funding for socially beneficial programs like these. Many people seem to believe that such programs are overburdened by deadbeats and immigrants, so they complain about their tax dollars being wasted. Most people I know in such programs are like you, working, doing the best they can, but still needing help.
I must say, however, that I am frustrated often by your blog and the posts about not making money, not receiving free rent anymore, and how difficult it is to receive aid only to also see posts about vacations, nice apartments, and babies playing in money. I wish I got to go on cruises and take trips to Lake Powell. Alas, I am working, studying, and scraping by. Our generation's sense of entitlement gives me fear for our society's future. Enjoy your trip, I hope it relieves some stress.
Post a Comment